Monday, July 16, 2012

Life according to the Queen is Big in Russia!

I just looked at the stats for this site. The most readers come from Russia. They are followed closely by the United States, and then there is a tie between Germany and South Korea. I looked up Russian Queens. After I got past the music group QUEEN, the first entry was about Catherine, Queen of Russia. That is, Grand Duchess Catherine Pavlovna (Екатерина Павловна) of Russia. She was the fourth daughter of Tsar Paul I of Russia and Princess Sophie Dorothea of Württemberg. Then, did you know that she became the Queen of Württemberg upon her marriage to her first cousin Crown Prince William who eventually became King William I of Württemberg in 1816?

Okay, I find this all pretty cool because Württemberg is in Germany, so she is tied to both the Russian and the German readership of this blog. Do not confuse Württemberg with Wittenburg. Wittenburg is the town with the door on which Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses for disputation on Halloween some 500 years ago. And Württemberg?

Well Württemberg has Queen Catherine and....me!  Many generations ago, some of my family hailed from Württemberg. They left to avoid German conscription into the army, as did so many other Germans. So, as a current resident of the US, we now have a Queen to whom we can tie the Americans who read this blog. Now what to do about the South Koreans? Is Queen Catherine somehow related to them? Do they have their own Queen? Hmmm. We will have to do more research on this subject.

Queeb Catherine of Württemberg

No comments: