Wednesday, December 05, 2012

More about Reconciliation for the person with Poor Memory

A while back I posted a formula for going to Roman Catholic Confession (to a priest) for people with memory impairment. I spoke to the Archbishop of Santa Fe, Michael J, Sheehan, a few weeks ago and he told me that even if a person cannot remember beyond the current moment, they can and should go to confession with a priest if only to ask for the graces of a good confession. So, I am reprinting the formula below:



Sacrament of Reconciliation

Opening:

Bless me father for I have sinned. It has 
been ____ months since my last 
confession.

I am not aware of any grave sin since then.  
But I want to acknowledge again my sorrow 
for all my sins of my past life.

For these and any sins I do not remember, I 
am truly sorry.
                    
Act of Contrition:

O, my God, I am heartily sorry for having 
offended you.

I detest all my sins because of your just 
punishment, but most of all because they 
offend you, my God, who are all-good and 
deserving of all my love.

I firmly resolve, with the help of Your 
grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near 
occasion of sin.

Amen

No comments: